The Baca / Douglas Genealogy and Family History Blog

28 March 2008

Crespin Torres Article Published in New Mexico Genealogist

Crespin Torres


As I've mentioned before on this blog, I have published before. I contributed two chapters to Aqui Se Comienza: A Genealogical History of the Founding Families of La Villa de San Felipe de Alburquerque. I just published again, this time in the March 2008 issue of the New Mexico Genealogist. The article is titled "The Story Behind the Photograph: Crespin Torres' Genealogy." Below is the first paragraph of the article:



When I was in my late teens, my dad shared with me a black and white photograph of a certain old man. He said that this picture was of my great-great grandfather Crespin Torres. Crespin's gaze in the photo was fierce. His disheveled appearance - a ragged beard, large nose, and ill-fitting clothes - added to his terrifying impression. I imagined Crespin to be a tough, mean old man.


I continue the article by explaining that my first impression of Crespin was erroneous. As I've come to find out, Crespin was a friendly, family man.


The article also includes the story of how the Torres family came to New Mexico and how Crespin's ancestors migrated from town to town, eventually arriving in the Socorro, New Mexico area.


If you would like to get a copy of this issue, you may order it by visiting our website at http://www.nmgs.org/geneal.htm. Or, you can join the New Mexico Genealogical Society and get this issue and the forthcoming issues of the New Mexico Genealogist. The application form is at http://www.nmgs.org/Memform2008.pdf. Membership is $30 a year after March 1, 2008.
For more information about Crespin's family, check out my Torres Family mini-blog.

No comments: