The Baca / Douglas Genealogy and Family History Blog

07 July 2008

Samuel C. Meek

Samuel C. Meek served in the same Regiment as my 2nd great grandfather Samuel Zimmerly, but in a different company: 1st Regiment of California Infantry, Company G. I'm not exactly sure who Meek was, but I believe he was involved in the political history of Socorro. I know that he had a street named after him in Socorro: Meek St.

I discovered an affadavit with his signature in the widow's pension of my 2nd great grandmother Paubla (Torres) Zimmerly. I find it interesting because 1.) it shows that Zimmerly had some contact with his old Civil War buddies, and 2.) that it gives a brief descriptions of Meek's and Zimmerly's movements after being discharged. The only thing that confuses me is that Meek says that he knew Zimmerly since August 1861 until the day of Zimmerly's death. This would be true only if he knew Zimmerly before Zimmerly enlisted. Zimmerly enlisted on October 9, 1861. Meek may be mistaken, or maybe they did know each other before October. It's worth looking into.

General Affidavit


State Terry. of New Mexico, County of Socorro, ss:

In the matter of Mrs. Paula Zimmerly Widow of Samuel Zimmerly late a ___ in Co. B of the 1” Reg’t of Cal. Infr. Vols., for Widows Pension.

On this ___ day of January, A.D. 1892, personally appeared before me a ___ in and for the aforesaid County, duly authorized to administer oaths, Samuel C. Meek, aged 55 years, a resident of Socorro, in the County of Socorro and State Terry. of New Mexico whose Postoffice address is Socorro, Socorro County, N.M. and well known to me to be reputable and entitled to credit, and who, being duly sworn, declared in relations to the aforesaid case as follows:

(Note: Affiant should state his means of knowing the facts which he testifies.)

I knew Samuel Zimmerly from August 1861 until the day of his death, having served Three years in The same Regiment with him, to August 31st 1864. I reenlisted, and he came to Socorro, and I was at Los Pinos New Mex. working as Pack Saddler in September 1866 when he was married. I came to Socorro on the 6th day of January 1867 to live, and we lived as citizens of the town of Socorro until his death occurred on the 20th day of November AD 1887. I know That when I first knew him, he was not married, nor did not marry until Sept 29th 1866 when he was married to Miss Paula Torres, a maid, and daughter of Ricardo Torres & wife Gertrude Padilla de Torres.

affiant further declare (sic) that he has no interest in said case and is not concerned in its prosecution.

___________________

___________________
If affiant signs by mark, two persons who can write sign here.

Samuel C. Meek
Signature of Affiant.

National Archives, Record Group 15 (Veterans Administration), invalid pension, app # 550,153; widow’s pension, app # 441,675, certif..# 345,600.

1 comment:

William Maloney said...

My gr-gr-gr-uncle Sam Meek enlisted in California, having followed the gold rush there. It may be that he met your ancestor in the gold fields or other circumstances in California, before they joined the Army.