The Baca / Douglas Genealogy and Family History Blog

11 April 2009

I'm not my own grandpaw ... honestly

Ever heard of the song "I'm My Own Grandpa"? Sometimes I worry about how many times I'm related to myself. Well, never fear - Ancestry Magazine published a story that makes us all feel much better about ourselves. It's called "Welcome to the Family", and it talks about a phenomenon called "pedigree collapse". This is when one ancestor marries a (not so distant) cousin. It's common, the author says, especially since in olden days people didn't move much and didn't travel far to find a mate.

Honest. I'm not my own grandpaw. Maybe a distant (... distant ... distant ... ) cousin to myself, but not my own grandpaw.

Maybe I should just stop now, and begin learning how to play the banjo part from "Deliverance".

Link.

No comments: