The Baca / Douglas Genealogy and Family History Blog

08 December 2022

The Spanish Dialect Unique to New Mexico and Colorado


News correspondent Jeremy Jojola, who originally is from New Mexico, created this homage to New Mexican and Spanish language. He says that it's Northern New Mexico, but truthfully my parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts spoke this dialect down in South in Socorro, NM. This language is so familiar to me, even I don't understand it completely. I wish I had recorded my parents and grandmothers when they were alive. 

One of the kids uses the term "queque" for "cake". This is funny, because my aunt uses the term "queque de jamón" when referring to a chocolate cake that she, my mom, and grandmother made for Christmas. The jamón probably referred to the lard that was put in the cake, as that term usually means "ham." It was very delicious, and had the consistency of something like banana-nut bread, which my mom also made.

Enjoy this video!

No comments: