The Baca / Douglas Genealogy and Family History Blog

03 June 2010

Another Candelaria Family

One of my readers, Lorraine, recently commented on my March 2008 post Native American Genealogy. My post had to do with my 5th great grandfather Jose Tomas Candelaria. In her comment, she requested some information about another Candelaria family:

I am interested in your Candelaria line, my line thre me a screw ball when a gr gr gr grandfather decided to change name from Candelaria.I discovered a birth record that showed he was born to a Juan Candelaria...Ygncaio would have been born around 1800 so I placing Juan about 1780

Hard to find info, Juan married to Tomasa Sanchez (Teresa chaves name also noted on record I found).

Does this sound familiar...we have also been told we have Native blood (apache) Gr aunts and uncles sent to indian school.

From ATrisco area of NM..

would appreciate any thoughts


I searched the 1790 and 1802 census records in Virginia Langham Olmsted's "New Mexico Spanish & Mexican Colonial Censues 1790, 1823, 1845" and "Spanish and Mexican Censuses of New Mexico 1750 to 1830" for Atrisco and surrounding areas, including Alburquerque, to no avail. I also searched the Internet, and found Lydia Urbie's site that has a database that includes Ynacio Candelaria and his parents Juan Candelaria and Tomasa Sanchez. The following information was found on that database:

Ygnacio CANDELARIA
____ - AFT 17 JUN 1833

DEATH: AFT 17 JUN 1833

Father: Juan CANDELARIA
Mother: Tomasa SÁNCHEZ

Family 1 : María Manuela ANAYA

MARRIAGE: BEF 20 AUG 1826

1. María Bernarda CANDELARIA
2. José de los Dolores CANDELARIA

Click on this link to view the database.

At this time, I have no other information about this family. If anyone reading this knows more about this family, please either email me at abqbobcat@nmia.com or post a comment to this article.

No comments: